Thursday, March 26, 2009

the name game

Check out this cool website that gives you the geographical distribution of your surname in the US. I compared my maiden name and my new name.
Bourke:

  • In the US there are 920 phone book entries with the surname Bourke and approximately 3,315 persons with this name.
  • The surname Bourke the 10443. most frequent name in the US.
  • People with this surname live in 46 states. Most occurrences are in California: 107.

Geyer:

  • In the US there are 2,953 phone book entries with the surname Geyer and approximately 10,641 persons with this name.
  • The surname Geyer is the 3569 most frequent name in the US.
  • People with this surname live in 51 states. Most occurrences are in Pennsylvania: 426.
Looks like Geyer is more popular than Bourke. I would have guessed that, though! However, Bourke is much more common in Australia. Check out Bourke, New South Whales.

2 comments:

Elaine Davis said...

Ha! how fun! I went from 133591st most common to the 7th! There are only 47 entries in the country with MacCorkle! Crazy. You'd think it would be popular in Scotland, but not so much there either. Thanks for the link!

denise said...

Cool! Yeah...I went from VERY common to really notsomuch. :) I'm going to post it, too. Thanks for the fun!