Tuesday, January 31, 2012

week 38


What a nutty week! I ended up dealing with that darn stomach bug for the  entirety of my 38th week of pregnancy. I only went to work for one half-day, and I ended up back at the doctor on Friday. I had lost five pounds, but the little man was doing just fine. As it turns out, he just sapped all the good stuff out of me and left me hanging on for dear life. I'm glad to sacrifice my comfort for Crawford, but man will it be nice when I can do that and see him in the flesh simultaneously!
Even though I spent this whole week (and I literally mean, the whole week) on the couch taking naps, there were a few highlights! By the weekend, I was feeling good enough to go ahead and get my pregnancy massage I had scheduled just after Christmas. Frankly, it was perfect timing because I was so sore from puking. The massage was awesome, and it really was such a special gift from David! Then on Sunday, Becca came over to take some maternity pictures. Though I'm not loving the way I look right now (my fat face!), I knew I would regret not asking her to capture this time in our life. I'm so thankful for her talent.
We ended our weekend with dinner at the Bryants, which was so nice. As we near the end of this "childless" phase of life, we're trying to take advantage of every opportunity to hang out with friends, go out to eat and be spontaneous (as spontaneous as we ever are :) ). Lynn gave me the sweetest gift - a half dollar pendant. It was Kevin's grandfather's coin, and Inez (Kevin's mom) had several of them made into necklaces for the Bryant girls over the years. Lynn thought it would be a sweet way to bless me during this time of pregnancy, and man was she right! It totally blew me away, and I LOVE it!

Nothing much had changed at the doctor today. Still .5 cm dilated (which I think is just a nice way of him saying "not dilated at all" :)) and not effaced. I am sticking to my gut on his late arrival, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he proved me wrong.

This was my devotional reading from Jesus Calling this morning, and it totally spoke to my heart:

I am your strength and shield. I plan out each day and have it ready for you, long before you arise from bed. I also provide the strength you need each step of the way. Instead of assessing your energy level and wondering about what's on the road ahead, concentrate on staying in touch with Me. My Power flows freely into you through our open communication. Refuse to waste energy worrying and you will have strength to spare.

Whenever you start to feel afraid, remember that I am your Shield. But unlike inanimate armor, I am always alert and active. My Presence watches over you continually, protecting you from both known and unknown dangers. Entrust yourself to My watchcare, which is the best security system available. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go.

Surprisingly, I'm doing pretty well on the above exhortation to refuse to waste energy worrying, but it it such a helpful reminder! At this point, I'm just excited to meet our little man.

No comments: