Monday, October 24, 2011

1 window, a monogram and a changing pad

Since I want to go ahead and post nursery progress even though it is truly a work in progress, here are 3 things that are mostly finished:

1. The window coverings in the dormer

We made pelmets/cornice boards for the two windows in the nursery, and this one is finally finished. The other one is getting monogrammed (!), so it isn't complete yet. The pelmet project ended up being more involved than I planned for, but they are hanging sturdily and we hope they stay that way!

I made curtains out of some white fabric that I got at a yard sale a long time ago, and I added the pom pom trim to the center of them. They're a bit long, but once my rocking chair (recovered in this fun fabric! I can't wait!) is in there you won't even notice :).

We bought the side table on clearance at Hobby Lobby, and it was a fun green color that totally went with the room when it was going to be brown. It didn't work with our now-green room, so we spray painted it brown, and it's good to go.


2. Wall monogram

I promise this is hanging straight... I just can't take a good picture apparently. I made this over Labor Day out of mostly extra stuff I had around the house - 3 flat canvases, scrap fabric from other nursery plans and I bought the letters at HL (of course). I would show the rest of the bookshelf, but it is currently covered in crap that needs to find a new home.




3. Changing pad cover

Nothing revolutionary, but I was really proud of my sewing work (for once!). We bought the changing pad at the JBF sale this weekend so I could go ahead and make my cover, and I love how it turned out (I used this tutorial- thanks Pinterest!). The fabric is fleece that I bought out of JoAnn's clearance bin months ago, and I love it! My mom helped me find some more of it at her JoAnns, so I'm trying to think of other projects to use it on.

My goal was to have most of my big projects knocked out by the time we go to Columbus (Nov. 4!) because as soon as we get the rocking chair THAT will be my big project. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) I think I'm going to forgo my 2nd biggest project... crib bumpers. After all the talk in the news lately about not using them it seems silly to spend so much time and effort to make some. We have ones that came in our bassinet (off CraigsList) that actually match the room really well, so I'll probably throw that in the crib if I feel comfortable enough to use it. We're going to get the crib this weekend (when Papa Dale and Grammy Rae come!), and I'm pretty sure that will make it feel like a nursery. Nuts!

No comments: