Monday, September 19, 2011

baby stuff

    While, I have been steadily collecting baby paraphernalia over the past several months (mostly from thrift stores and garage sales), we recently made what I would consider our first major baby purchase.

    We are in a giant quandary about the whole nursery (you could basically scrap this whole plan...), so we've been diligently researching all kinds of furniture options. We ventured to Children's Fair because, well other than Babies R Us, they have the monopoly on good-quality baby furniture in Chattanooga. We didn't make any decisions on furniture, but David was quickly sold on a different item. First, I should mention how extremely not impulsive this man is. Second, I should mention how extremely thrifty he is. Third, he bought a BOB jogging stroller. On a whim. What?! Yep, that was my reaction. David is big on buying quality things (rubber wheels, not plastic, etc...) that will last a while, so that was his motivation here. Plus, they had a 2010 model (ridiculous that the model changes each year...) WITH the car seat attachment for nearly $200 less than what that package would normally cost. We couldn't pass it up! Plus, we had already decided on just getting jogging stroller with the car seat attachment instead of your standard travel system (we do also have a snap and go stroller, courtesy of Craigs List).

    Anyway, David was/is pumped. I'm excited too! He pushed that thing all around the house and raves about the shocks. Harley is freaked out by the thing.

    Second on our must-research list (second to crib/furniture) has been a rocking chair. I have been SO torn about what I want/what we want to spend, but while in Columbus a few weeks ago I found an awesome solution! My mom and I found this chair (that rocks and swivels) at Goodwill! Price? $25! Oh, and... it was 1/2 off! Yep, I paid $12.50 for this awesome chair.


    Granted, it needs a slipcover something fierce, but it is super sturdy and even very clean. I figured, instead of debating about the "perfect chair" we should just use this one until we know exactly what we want- that is, if we decide to make a major investment in a(nother) piece of furniture down the road. We couldn't fit it in the Audi, so it's hanging out at my parents' house until we make our next trip to Columbus (in our new Routan! We are trading in the convertible for a mini van... haha! It'll be a fun no-commitment test. Thanks, VW!)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I promise you won't regret the Bob decision!!! That's all we used...a snap-n-go and the Bob. I don't know why anyone would pay for a travel system, because the Bob is so light and versatile. I'm kinda obsessed with my Duallie...if only they made a three passenger one :)

I think you also mad a wise chair decision. A good friend of mine who is also a designer did the same thing and her chair is beautiful. She had it reupholstered for less than $100. You can see it here...

http://blueprintbliss.blogspot.com/2010/05/baby-cs-nursery.html

Her baby was a surprise, but she ended up having a boy just a days before Beck was born. I think the nursery worked perfectly for a little boy!

Just some more inspiration :)

You're almost half way!! One more week!!

Suzie said...

Great decision with the Bob!! We bought our second one (a Duallie) off of Craigslist and haven't regretted it! Just gave away an extra car seat adapter or I'd send it your way! Pooie! LOVE your chair! Such a great deal!! Something I would tell myself over again is if I wouldn't spend it in the master bedroom, don't spend it on the baby's nursery.