Monday, October 10, 2011

to Grandmother's house we go

Last year I went to Virginia to visit my family, but I traveled solo. We knew we wanted to make this an annual trip, but I definitely wanted David to be able to come along this time. Our plans were set to go over Labor Day weekend, but Hurricane Irene left most of my family without power for more than a week, so we rescheduled for this past weekend. It was a SHORT trip, but really all we could fit into our busy fall schedule and we figured some visit was better than nothing (and we were right).

It was pretty special because David has only ever met any of these family members (my dad's step-mom, step-brother and his family) at our wedding, so this was really his first chance to get to know them. We divided our day on Saturday between Grandma and the Coopers, and it worked out very nicely! Even though she's not a morning person, Grandma got up to hang out with us early on Saturday, and we walked around a cute outdoor market and she showed us around her Richmond neighborhood. Uncle Phil, Aunt Annie and baby Cooper picked us up for lunch where we met Claire and Travis. We loved visiting with them all together! They are a hoot.

After lunch, we chatted with Claire for a long while before heading out to do some baby shopping. I so wish we had a Once Upon a Child in Chattanooga! That place was awesome! We got to hang out with Claire, Travis and Cooper a bit more before going back to Grandma's (aka "BB" to Cooper) house for the evening. Cooper was enamored with David, and he kept saying "bye bye David!" over and over again (though he of course wouldn't say it for the camera, and he wouldn't say it to anyone else!). It was precious.

We ate pizza, watched Fox News and talked to Grandma for a while Saturday night. It was so relaxed and normal, you would think we hung out all the time (which was a BIG shocker to me and David). We're already planning for a return trip in the spring with Crawford!

Of course, I hardly took any pictures at all, but these are the ones I did manage to get... 
 me and Claire; Coop eating a snack

taking a walk in "Gertie's Garden"; David enjoyed the golf simulator at Grandma's house

And some videos (that only my family will care even a little bit about...):






No comments: