Monday, January 5, 2009

surprise day trip

I have an amazing husband.

I was a little bummed because David was off work last Friday (Jan. 2) but I wasn't. This never happens! I hated that we were so close to having a great opportunity to do something fun but not quite there. Little did I know... David talked to my boss and took the day off for me! He surprised me with a fun day trip to Atlanta! We have driven through Atlanta a ton and I've obviously been there plenty of times (being that I'm from Columbus), but we've been talking recently about all of the neat things we want to do that are close by. David planned out the perfect day to do most of those things!

David and I have been wanting to see this exhibit for several years! It was super cool, but definitely not for those with a weak stomach. Even I got a little weirded out by the real human bodies that were intact. If you don't know what I'm talking about- check out the website.

The part on veins was the coolest:

(photos courtesy of Google Images... you weren't allowed to take pictures inside the exhibit)

Stop 2: IKEA
This stop wasn't part of David's plan, but we were so close we had to go! Neither of us had been to an Ikea before, but we've been wanting to! We picked up a few small things for around the house, but we mostly just gawked and awed over how massive the store is!

Stop 3: The Varsity
Every time we drive through Atlanta on our way to Columbus, we pass the Varsity and I remind David that he needs to eat there! He planned our day perfectly and it included a yummy, greasy lunch at the Varsity!
Stop 4: The GA Aquarium
Yet another place David and I have been wanting to go! Unfortunately, so did every other person in Georgia... It was cold and rainy, but we stood outside in line for tickets anyway.

Even though there were a babillion people there, the exhibits were really cool. Since this place opened up, I've been talking about wanting to see the whales. Seeing them made the entire trip worthwhile! They had three Beluga whales that were incredible! We could have watched them roll around for hours (once again, I apologize for my crappy camera...):

This was the tunnel you walked through under the tank with all of the sharks.

If you think we look nice and damp it's because we were.


The coolest thing we saw were the Whale Sharks. They even beat the Belugas.



Stop 5: The Cheesecake Factory
Last stop of the day! David's favorite restaurant is The Cheesecake Factory, and he's been missing eating there since I left Birmingham. I love it too, mostly because they make my favorite dessert in the world- Linda's Fudge Cake.


After all of the activities of our day, we were pooped! We drove home and crashed (well that and took down our Christmas decorations). We had such a blast just spending time with each other and doing new things together!

4 comments:

The Hangs said...

awwww... you guys are cute!

Kristin said...

You definitely saw the best of Atlanta! So jealous of the Cheesecake Factory because even though I live like 20 minutes from at least 3 CF's, I haven't eaten at one in years!! And, the Body Exhibit!! So so jealous! But so fun! And what a great husband you have! :)

anna c. said...

*sigh* i just love you two.

Rebecca Cash said...

You two make me sooo happy!