Wednesday, December 31, 2008

sweet reunion

Last night we had the JOY of hanging out with our dear friend, Ginny Harr. As I drove her home, I got all sappy and sentimental thinking about the progression of our friendship. We met working at Camp Vesper Point in the summer of 2005. I had already buddied up with Laura Batchelor (now Lonergan), and together we were scoping out potential friends (I just realized you've probably never heard this, Gin!). She immediately filled me in on a really cool girl she had been in boat driver training with- Ginny. From then on out, it was decided, we would be friends. Well, it didn't take long. That summer was the best of my life, hands down. Reflecting back on it, it is hard to believe that I spent a mere 6 weeks in Soddy Daisy, TN that summer, and yet it changed my life in such a profound way.

I learned how to share my testimony and more importantly- how to share Christ with kids. In fact, by the grace of God I led campers to Christ (sitting in the gravel under a lamp post, none-the-less). I ran around and played my heart out. I wore garbage back shorts, a tshirt and a one-piece bathing suit every day. I showered infrequently. I had a camper "brake" both of her feet. I swam the buoys. I laughed until I cried. I had consistent quiet times. I was challenged. I met my husband. I made amazing, life-long friends.

Amazing, life-long friends are something hard to come by. As Ginny and I sat teary-eyed in my car last night, I remembered what an amazing blessing that summer was. Never again will I live communally with great friends for the sole purpose of loving on kids and sharing Christ with them. I can hardly believe that 3 years later, these friends (pictured below) are still people I treasure, and though our email chain has broken and phone calls are all to infrequent, my time with Ginny last night was proof that we can pick up where we left off.

Ginny lives in New York City (but her parents are in Chattanooga, hence the holiday visit), and I hope she comes back soon because our time together was way too short!


August, 2005

The gang. The 6 of us were best buds that summer. I still love, love these girls and miss you guys. Reunion soon?

Fast forward to last night- Me & Gin present day
PS- Before Ginny came over, Sarah and Jason came over for dinner! I don't want to down play how fabulous it was to hang out with them, and especially to hang out with Sarah after the boys left. We LOVE them!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Can we please have a reunion? 2k9 in NYC.

And yes, Bourke, I read your blog. I'm generally afraid of posting things on the interweb, but putting in a reunion vote is worth it.