Friday, December 19, 2008

looking ahead

Well, Friday is finally here. I'm off work all of next week, and I've been looking forward with so much excitement to my time off. David has to work Monday, Tuesday and half of Wednesday and then we'll drive to Columbus to spend Christmas with my family. I have big plans for the weekend and the time off... kind of. Our friend Jordan Saas is heading down this afternoon from Richmond to spend the night and hang out with us! We haven't spent time with him in a while so we're really excited to catch up. Other exciting things I have to look forward to between now and Wednesday:

  • Going to Rock City's Enchanted Garden of Lights- with Jordan, for free.
  • Breakfast with super cool out-of-town friends. (Becca. She's awesome.)
  • Spending time with Ginny Harr. (oh man, I can't wait to blog about how cool she is)
  • Spending time with Anna Cleland. (ditto on that one)
  • Spending time with Mary Shelton. (I've already told you how cool she is, but I'm sure I'll tell you again)
  • The Jenkins girls. (love you too, Mark, but you have to work) (more cool girls, wow!)
  • Ironing. Lots and lots of overdue ironing.
  • Documentaries that David doesn't care to watch that I've DVR-ed.
  • Sleeping in a little? maybe?
Ok, so much to look forward to doing and blogging about, but now on a more serious note... My friend Melissa has been very faithful to write thought-inspiring blog posts every day as an Advent reflection. It's been awesome to follow along and learn from her and Thomas as they lead up to the real meaning of this [selfish/consumer-driven] holiday. Her post from yesterday was really poignant and relevant for me. (PS- aren't they the most beautiful family? geesh!) She talked about the change from "home" being her home in south GA and her husband's home in Marietta to their home in Birmingham. David and I have been really intentional with our words to change that meaning too. Our home is Chattanooga. Together.

However, since David and I are from two different states even (David- Oxford, OH, me- Columbus, GA just in case you didn't know :)), our "homes" are all over the place. We hate that our families are so far away (most of the time :)), which is part of the reason for this blog. Fortunately though, we all are committed to being a part of each others lives- even if it means many hours on the road (thanks I-75). As Brianna grows up and Greg performs his little heart out, it makes us especially mindful of the distance. Yet, Melissa reminds us that our eternal home is far sweeter than any comprehension of a south Georgia city or a quaint Ohio town with loved ones. Jesus came, in a manger none-the-less, to prepare a home for us that we can hardly even fathom. Let's remember during the craziness of plans and travels of the next few weeks, to keep our focus on the goodness of God's grace that makes heaven a reality.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

thanks for the shout-out! i hope you guys have a wonderful weekend and then so much fun over Christmas! i hope to see you soon.

m

Kara said...

hey em! so, i am at work right now and since they sensor facebook i am leaving a post on your blog (whah haha, there is always a way)...i wont be able to have lunch on tues :(...ryan and i are haning out with hannah and phil who came for a visit. however, you and david are still coming for new years right??? i hope so...because we are haning out a bunch if you are. how long will you be in town? merry christmas!!!

mom said...

Hey honey! I love your blog! All the people that you are anxious to spend time with...what about your family?! HAHA! I can't wait for you guys to be here! Love you, MOM