Tuesday, July 27, 2010

did it.

This past weekend was the Music City Triathlon!
I am proud to say that I completed it!


awesome picture of the staging area and Nashville -- Blair's pictures are awesome

pre-race... nervous as all get out


sweet friend! She raced all around to see me and cheer for me! I was SO THANKFUL for her!
here's her blog post about the event

waiting to get in... waving to Blair

about to get in the water! I was SO ready to swim!
No idea why I am sitting exactly like the guy next to me...
swimming! The current was very strong for a couple parts of the swim, but I felt the best about this leg of the race. I am thankful I trained hardest for the swim because everyone says it is the hardest part. I finished in 9:37.
running from the swim to the transition area (you can pick me out because of the white circle around my butt)


Davids

transition to the bike... kind of freaking out...

I was MOST nervous about the bike because I was seriously unprepared. It turned out to be just fine though, and I finished in 1:07 (not a good time, but I was just thrilled that I didn't have to stop and walk the bike up any hills that I couldn't do!).

running out of the transition area after the bike
(notice NO other people around! ha! I was seriously one of the last sprint racers done with the bike...)

Off on the run! I ran to start off with, but I walked about half of the course. I figured I would rather enjoy it than be miserable, and I definitely did! I finished the run in 37:37.

sprinting to the finish line!
looking like an idiot (trust me, Blair videotaped me... I should never sprint ever again... I look retarded).
walking it out after I was finished! My sweet husband was so encouraging the entire time, and he was so proud of me! He is the best.

sweet supporters! It was a zillion degrees outside and they were so kind to watch and cheer me on! I definitely needed their encouragement, and it meant SO MUCH that Chris, Brooke, Jayme and Beth were all there!
not only did they cheer me on at the race, but they let us stay with them Saturday night and cooked us a fabulous dinner. The Lord has truly blessed us with friends like these! Love you, Blair & David!

post-race lunch at Big River. pooped.

Big thanks go to:
Ryan Davis for letting me borrow your tri suit
Becca Rocha & Leigh Linhoss for letting me borrow your bikes (Leigh's got a flat tire, so I rode Becca's in the race)
Blair and Beth for the pictures
Everyone above for their cheers and encouragement at the race
David for encouraging me ALL along the way (and for not letting me chicken out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when I tried to bail and head back to Chattanooga)

One of the coolest parts of the race was the time I had with the Lord. I was seriously petrified that morning (remember: I had NO IDEA what I was doing!), and it was pretty sweet time of prayer. I kept asking God for specific things, and He answered each one right away. For example, I was so nervous and lonely (David couldn't come inside the transition area), and I just prayed for a familiar face. I immediately turned around and bumped into Kat Sweatt, a friend from Samford! It was the biggest encouragement. Next, I prayed for an ally- another beginner that I could link up with and figure it all out together. I met sweet Lauren moments later, and she was right behind me in the swim line! Also, the guy right in front of me(#416) was wonderful. He even helped me after the race when my bike was messing up.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I am SO GLAD it is over :)

1 comment:

cathy said...

How cool! I'm so proud of you! You did it!