Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Things I didn't expect...


Yes, another list post. Sorry, it's the best way for me to organize my (extremely scattered) thoughts...
  • Everyone told me that I would love Crawford more than I could ever imagine (and it's true!), so I think I expected that. I didn't expect how much more I would love David through the whole process. He has been wonderful. In the hospital, during labor and delivery, helping me recover, at home those first few nights figuring out what the heck we're doing, every day sending me the sweetest text messages thanking me and loving on me, every night rushing in to take his boy for their time together. My heart could explode with more love for him than I thought possible! I can hear him downstairs right now talking and singing to the baby. Love him.
  • Night sweats. What?? The first week at home I was like change-the-sheets sweaty every night. Gross.
  • We thought friends had told us or we had read to expect a newborn to go through about 12 diapers a day. I thought we were going through more than that, so I kept track on Friday. We went through 20! Sixteen were poopy and the other four were just wet. Since then, we've gotten a bit more liberal on how often we let him go in between changes :)
  • Laundry. It's not laborious, but it's constant
  • I actually miss Crawford when he's sleeping. The second night in the hospital when they took him to the nursery for the night, I cried. I would never have imagined that I want him with me so badly. All the time!
  • I could have sworn I heard that breast fed babies' poop doesn't stink. Wrong! This kid is gassy to the max, and dang it stinks. However, somehow the trashcan full of poo manages to stay pretty stench-free.
  • Crawford's crying doesn't bother me. Granted, he isn't much of a crier so we don't have to deal with it much (yet). The past few days though, he's had a few fussy spells and (because I know he's not in pain or danger) it even sometimes is cute to me. I'm SURE that will change with time!






1 comment:

denise said...

LOVE the new pictures. That kid is so adorable!

Since you said people didn't tell you things...here's one for you: gassy, smelly poops in a breastfed baby are a classic sign of dairy intolerance. If they get worse or he starts getting fussier, try cutting dairy from your diet so see if it helps. :)