Friday, February 3, 2012

parting thoughts

I can't believe it's here, but today is my last day at UTC. Technically, beginning Monday I'm on maternity leave until the middle of April-ish (woo hoo, paid leave time!), then I'll officially be unemployed. My office peeps have been so sweet to bring breakfast and we're waiting on lunch delivery from UPD. I've gotten so many "congrats" and "happy last day" texts and emails, and even a special smoothie delivery! All the sweetness really makes me feel good about my time coming to an end. I've had several super kind emails from donors and alumni volunteers over the past month, and I am genuinely going to miss my interactions with some of these folks. Granted, I'm really not going anywhere! I'll certainly be stopping in to visit the Development Office, and with David's involvement on the Alumni Board I'll definitely be seeing all the rest of my UTC gang regularly.

Overall, I'm just so thankful. I've spent the past three years, eight months and one day working as the Director of Development for Annual Giving at UTC. This is my second job out of college, and the only job I interviewed for in Chattanooga. I've been blown away at the goodness of God in so many areas of my life, but this position at this institution is definitely high on my list. I've learned a ton about myself- as an individual and a professional.

It's a little bit scary to be giving all this up voluntarily. I have great pay, awesome benefits, more flexibility than most, supportive co-workers and a pretty stimulating collegiate environment. When it comes to "9-5" jobs, there aren't many I'd rather be doing than this one. I think the terrifying part for me is that I'm pretty confident in my abilities to do my current job well. I am so NOT confident in my abilities to do my next job even half-way decent. I'm sure I'll figure it out, and we'll survive and all that jazz, but it's scary starting over!

David and I have planned and prepared for me to be able to stay home full-time since the day we got married (so you'd think I'd be more ready!). I'm so thankful that he's as excited as I am for this to be our family's new status.

As nervous as I am and as weird as it seems to be leaving UTC... I am 110% confident in the new job God has called me to, and I'm so excited for the next leg of this crazy journey.

No comments: