Thursday, February 18, 2010

I said "yes"!

This is random, but as I mentioned here, the purpose of this blog is for my own memory keeping, and this is one memory I want to have recorded forever!

January 17, 2008 was a pretty average day. I was bummed when my friend Laine had to cancel our running date for that afternoon (we were training for the Mercedes Half Marathon), but I headed home looking forward to a pretty low-key evening. Little did I know, that was not the evening ahead of me.

As soon as I got to my front door, I knew something was going on. I looked in the window and saw roses and candles everywhere.

I ran in the house... looking around at everything... looking around for someone! No one in sight. I went back to my bedroom and noticed... David's chapstick on my bed. ??? Random, I know, but he had this funky little chapstick that was unmistakeably his. However, still no David. As I started to head upstairs, the doorbell rang. Doorbell? Who could it be now?? I flung the door wide open to find none other than my David, on one knee, ring in hand. The poor guy was shaking and tearing up, nervous as can be, proposing to me. He said all kinds of sweet, wonderful things (none of which either of us can remember), and asked me to marry him. I was freaking out and of course, said yes!

The next fun surprise was when he pointed out his bff, Andy hidden behind a trashcan taking pictures! I was initially shocked just because Andy lived in Kentucky and I could hardly believe that he was there!

Then, I turned around and found my sister snapping away with the pictures from behind!

Our best man and maid of honor were in on it from the beginning (which was really very special).

 After we went inside and calmed down, David told me we had dinner reservations at my favorite place, Firebirds. I was pretty pumped about that.

I felt kind of bad because Ashley and Andy had to awkwardly kill time together, but they played it off like they didn't really mind. So, we left for the restaurant, but had to make some stops along the way (buying time). As we rounded the corner to our table, I (once again) freaked out

because my whole family (+Andy) were there!! I was so, so excited to see them! We got to tell them the whole story and share in the excitement with the people who were most excited for me (minus David's family, of course).

Whew. I was so overwhelmed with love and support, and I had no idea the night was still young! As we pulled onto my street, I (yet again) freaked out. There were cars everywhere- cars I recognized! We were having a surprise engagement party (props to my sister for inviting people and arranging things)! Courtney & Ms. Pam even drove over from Columbus just for the evening! Yet again I was so blown away, overwhelmed and completely loved. We told the story, ate cake, drank champange and celebrated.


I cannot believe that was 2 years, 1 month and 1 day ago. Wow! Time sure does fly when you're having as much fun as we are. Love you, D. Thanks for proposing to me.


1 comment:

Becca said...

I LOVE the story of y'alls engagement. It makes me so happy!