Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What I do.

Disclaimer: If you are going the be turned off/offended by a "soap box" of sorts, feel free to find another blog to read :).


Last night was a fabulous event at Niko's Southside Grill for Samford alumni, parents and prospective Samford students. There were tons of high school kids and a good representative of the other two groups. We had 5 from the class of '07 representing! It was such a fun night for me in particular because many of my former Samford co-workers came up for the night to meet and mingle, and I loved catching up with everyone (missed you though, Sheri!!). We're headed to Samford in a few weekends for all kinds of Samford-fun, and I cannot wait to be there!

While listening to several of the Samford representatives share a little bit (Randy Pittman made me cry. and made me want to re-enroll in classes. and have a baby right now so I can send him/her to Samford in 18 years.), I thought a lot about my own story.

Randy shared about the Samford experience from a parent's perspective, and he told the parents about the worship service that happens at the beginning of each new year for all faculty and staff to pray for the students. Literally every name is said aloud and prayed for. I had goosebumps! The other thing he said that really resonated with me is that though we claim Samford as a "Christian school", but Jesus did not come to save schools. He came to save people. We cannot be a Christian school, but we can be (and are) a school made up of Christian people, who love the Lord and desire to glorify Him with their work.

All of these encouraging words left me feeling warm and fuzzy, but so what?

Let me back up... as a sophomore in college I started working at the Samford Phonathon. I needed a job, and it was on campus and paid well. Little did I know that I would be enamored by this concept of raising money for the school I so loved. So, after graduation I stayed at Samford for another year, managing the Phonathon and learning the ropes of Annual Giving.

When David and I got engaged, we knew Chattanooga would be home. I was sad to leave SU, but I knew the Lord had another plan for the next phase of my (our) life. I quickly (amazingly so!) got this fabulous job at UTC as the Director of Development for Annual Giving!

My role in the Development Office (Annual Giving) is impacted by the number of UTC alumni who give financially to the university on an annual basis. So here's where you come in. This is not a solicitation, but I want you to hear my heart. If you went to college anywhere, you benefitted from years and years of generous people who cared about your school and your educational opportunities. Many people think (or even say!) things like "I don't have/make a lot of money, so I can't give", "I'm still paying of school loans", "I couldn't give much, so my gift doesn't matter", “don’t even ask me for a gift… do you know what I make?” and on and on. I promise, I've probably heard most of them (yes, in just a few short years! excuses are pretty rampant in this business :) ). Get this: did you know that the alumni participation percentage (number of alumni who give back to the University at ANY level) is one of the factors in a school's national rankings (think: US News and World Report)? That means every single person has an opportunity to make a difference. And you know what else? You only have a college degree because other people made giving back a priority.

My boss once told me "Other than saving souls and saving lives, we are doing the next most important work." I couldn't believe her more. We are about the business of educating people (to save souls and lives, nonetheless). And I think all of us with a college degree would consider that a pretty important thing.

I would love it if you would consider making an annual gift to support UTC, Samford, UGA, Carson- Newman, IU or wherever you went to school. Again, the amount of the gift does not matter at all! We are all striving for participation, so every. single. gift. counts! When you get something in mail- look at it! At least consider making a gift. When a brave Phonathon/Telefund caller is on the other end of your phone- hear them out and give them $10! Yes, $10! When you get an e-mail from your alma mater, check it out! See what is going on, and see how you can be involved.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Thanks for including IU in there :)