Wednesday, January 20, 2010

the juices are flowing

I'm not the most creative person ever, but lately I've really been enjoying using the right side of my brain.

We inherited this chair from David's parents, and it has made a home in one of our guest rooms. I finally made a pillow for it to coordinate with the bedding I made. It was an experiment in ruffles, and I learned a lot (ie- the next pillow should be better). I don't understand patterns, and I wasn't patient enough to read any tutorials, so I kinda "winged it".

(picture is pre-stuffing)                           
The corners need some work, but overall I'm happy with the result!

After taking all of the holiday decor down (except our Christmas card holder- I just love looking at it and don't want it to come down!), our house was a little sad... So, I made a "winter" wreath to hang on the front door.



1. I bought this wreath at Goodwill for $.10. The lady said it was "Christmas" decor, so it was 90% off. No complaints from me!


2. I removed the ribbon and covered it in leftover white fabric.



3. I covered it in felt "rosettes" a la this tutorial. However, I found it much easier to just use the hot glue gun instead of all those pins. (felt squares at HobLob= $2)



4. I added some ribbon and snowflakes ($.99) to make it seasonal, and I have hearts on standby for Valentine's Day!

$3.10ish wreath! Not to shabby...

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so impressed Emily!! That's great! I need to get that creative bug bite! ha

Melissa said...

So pretty! I love the winter wreath. Our door looks so sad after the fall/Christmas, so you've inspired me to do something about it!

PSIrwin said...

i did a post about my front porch re-do and how much it costs today too! great minds think alike!

mom said...

You are so funny!