Friday, January 15, 2010

Book review: Jesus Manifesto


Frankly, I struggled through this book. The authors of Jesus Manifesto: Restoring the Supremacy and Sovereignty of Jesus Christ seek to convey that the Church (universal) is at a crossroads in its views and beliefs about the importance of Jesus in our lives. Though I found there to be many poignant lessons imbedded in the text, I was overall dissatisfied with the book. This probably has more to do with my personal preference for writing style- the authors use a lot of alliteration, cliches, allegory and analogies which is just NOT something I enjoy reading, especially in a "devotional" book. Additionally, there were many times that I had a hard time following the train of thought through an entire chapter. I found it to be more of a collection of miscellaneous ideas than a consistent stream of thought. Though I certainly agree with the overall premise of the book (that the gospel is about Jesus and Christianity today has strayed far from that), I don't think this book is the best read.

No comments: