Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Aunt Louise's room

In addition to having an awesome new space to hang out, building the "man room" has freed up lots of other spaces in our house, namely providing us with a second guest bedroom. I told you about my great, great Aunt Louise in this post, and I'm SO thrilled that we now have space for my favorite Aunt Louise treasure! When she died she left me (of all people?!) her bedroom set (actually, I seem to remember that it was from a guest bedroom... Mom, is that right?). I immediately loved it and we set it up for my 12ish-year-old bedroom. Unfortunately, at that age I wasn't mature enough to appreciate what a treasure it was and I didn't take care of it. I would use the wooden bar at the end of the bed like a parallel bar, until the day it broke in half. My dad has fixed it several times, but 10 years later it is still in 2 pieces under the bed. My grandmother was visiting from California one time and she was appalled at how messy my room was. She said "Aunt Louise would turn over in her grave to see it so messy"... oops.

It served as a guest bedroom set for my parents for several years, but NOW we have it in our home! I am SO SO excited about having it!

I couldn't decide what kind of bedding I wanted in there, and everything I liked was really really expensive (think Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardwear, Crate & Barrel). So, I decided to make it! I saved a ton of money by getting all of the fabric from Joann Fabric (it was 30% off and I had a 40% off coupon!) and using muslin to back it all. I have had so much fun working on my own little project while David has been slaving away in the room. I made the duvet cover, 2 pillow shams and a decorative pillow and I love how it turned out!

It's not really this yellowy... look at the next pictures.

The two pictures I have of me and Aunt Louise are on the night stand.

The other parts of the room (which include a short dresser and mirror and a tall dresser) are still in disarray, so I'll reveal them when they are more put together. Don't worry, David's diploma will come off the wall eventually. I'm not sure what kind of decor will go above the bed, but I'd love some suggestions! I'm thinking the shabby chic route... or having my dad or brother paint or draw something... or ?? What would YOU put there?

2 comments:

mom said...

I looks great! You should be sooo proud of yourself!

PSIrwin said...

i love the bedding! i am so impressed...so when are you coming to my house to make it look cute?