Wednesday, September 3, 2008

thankful hearts

Happy Birthday, Jim! Today is my father-in-law's birthday (he's 60 something... 64 maybe? but you would never know it!) and today is also the first time I've ever referred to him as my father-in-law. Weird. It stinks to live far apart from family, but it especially stinks on birthdays and holidays. I hate that I'll mostly forget that today is his special day because we won't get to celebrate it with him. Beth will deliver our group gift (a digital picture frame with pictures already installed :)), and I'm anxious to find out what he thinks!

There have been so many wonderful things going on lately, yet every time I've sat down to write on this thing, my mind has drawn a blank. I guess I'll just touch on everything a bit... (just to warn you, this may get long and boring).

I, like every working person in America, wish every weekend was 3 days! It just makes life better! We had a fabulous long weekend being with our friends. Friday night we had dinner and hung out with the Rochas and thus began our Rocha-infested (sorry, I couldn't resist the play on words! no negative connotation intended :)) weekend! Saturday Keith rescued me and watched the Ohio State game with Dave at Buffalo Wild Wings (though- do not fear, the lady called yesterday to inform us that we now receive the Big Ten Network. Thank goodness. I was having a hard time sleeping at night :)) and I hung out with Becca for a little bit to help work on things for Kate's room. Oh, and while we're on that subject, I ought to inform you that David and I have been dubbed (by ourselves, no less) "Auntie Em" and "Uncy Dave". We are just so excited to have become such good friends with Becca and Keith and we cannot wait to share in the joy of watching Kate be born (not literally) and grow up! David cannot wait to teach her how to water ski :). Saturday night we had such a fun dinner with two of our favorite families: the Jenkins and Harrisons. It was so good to see them and catch up! We love them!

Whew, that paragraph was getting kind of long. I'll start a new one just so your eyes can rest (since after all, we only just finished Saturday!).

Sunday was our August birthday celebration for Alex, Sarah, David and me and it was so fun! Post-celebration, we went out on the Bryant's boat for a brief trip. I skied pretty decently (which is a new thing) and David got up on a wake board on his first attempt! We hope we can squeeze some more time in out there before the weather gets too cold!

Monday was soo fabulous. We slept in late (well, about 8), David made me breakfast in bed and then we had the whole day at our disposal! What a great invention that Labor Day is! David & Keith went to the driving range for the morning and then we headed to the Rocha's for a pool party cookout! We met some great new people and really had a good time!

Now, man, aren't you regretting even attempting to read this post? I guess my writer's block is healed. Lucky you.

Last night I got to spend the evening with my dear Sarah, and it was great (sorry, I don't have a song for great). We have kind of dropped the ball on talking through our Bible study book, but we had quality conversations that totally made up for it. Becca came over when she got out of her learning-how-to-be-a-mommy-and-make-sure-my-child-eats class, and our good talks just continued. By the time David got home (from his new Bible study group), we both were just brimming with excitement over our amazing friendships. A-MAZING. I can't even explain how huge of a blessing it is to have moved to a new town and be immediately immersed in probably the most authentic friendships I've ever had with girls- and the same is true for David, just with boys. It's just incredible how the Lord has prepared all of us for these relationships- we are each so unique, yet perfectly similar such that we all fit together seamlessly.

I have really been challenged by Becca & Sarah lately in a couple of key areas that I consistently struggle with, but usually don't intentionally work on (being judgemental, complacency, and loving David in the most Christ-like way possible). It's amazing how these sins have really surfaced lately, and I have really faced my convictions because I know I have that accountability. Whew. God is cool (and sneaky, right S? :)).

All of this to say, the Geyers are just blown away with thankful hearts.

1 comment:

Becca Rocha said...

Too bad we had to break our streak of emily & david time!! keith and I both are so thankful for you guys (and the whole group too of course). kate is going to adore her aunty & uncy!!