Friday, April 16, 2010

the box- update

Remember the box we built for our screened-in porch?

It needed a cushion for the top...

I was too cheap to buy foam like this from JoAnn or Hancock, but i found the perfect solution at Overstock.com. I bought this foam matress topper (same price for a Full or a Cal. King! I got the Cal. King of course) and folded it into thirds. We secured it with a few stiches on one end and wallah! A cushy top.


Next came the fun part- making it cute.
Mom and Greg helped me pick out this great indoor/outdoor fabric

when we were in Columbus, and I love the way that it turned out!

I am ever reminded of my sewing deficiencies (ahem, corners), so don't look too closely. The main point is:

  1. we completed the entire project for $150

  2. this has been the perfect nap/read a book spot during the past weeks of spring weather

  3. Southeastern Salvage has Pottery Barn-esq pillows for $9 + $5 monogram (with a free pillow insert!)

  4. we are one step closer to being ready for the many upcoming occasions to have lots of people at our house!

Oh, one other quick project: pillows for the rocking chairs on the front porch! I found this fun (again, indoor/outdoor) fabric in the clearance pile at JoAnn (oh, how I wish we had a JoAnn...) and love having a springy touch to our otherwise only-utilitarian porch.


... more to come on porch updates! We've been busy!

No comments: