Monday, March 8, 2010

the box

We have a fabulous screened-in porch. It gets lots of usage when the weather is nice (and Harley loves it regardless of the weather), and we love having it as an extra sitting area. However, the seating is limited to the two awesome chairs + ottomans we received from David's parents and some miscellaneous fold up chairs (that I think are my parents...). We have a couple of events coming up (a wedding shower in April and a baby shower in May!), and we're banking on good weather so we wanted to maximize our outdoor seating. Hence, the box.

I emailed David last Wednesday:
"Do you think you can figure out how to make the box based on this picture:"
and a second email said:
"Oh, and this one:"

I am so helpful.

His reply:
"I think I may need more direction than that…. We can look together at plans to make what you want. "

I love that kid!

So, the story of the box was born.

Our goal for this weekend was to have a clear plan drawn out and to buy all of the supplies.

However,

we finished the ENTIRE thing!

I'm so excited about this. It is exactly what I had in mind.

Here is the BEFORE:

...buying lots of wood and supplies at Lowes...

...Harley hanging out on his redneck leash (tied to the car)...

end #1
working on the sides
done with all of the pieces -- taking a break!

After dinner we realized we could knock this thing out! David noted that we were basically building a casket...

paint and hinges

Done!

Harley's favorite spot- he loves looking at the birds and squirrels.

the finished product!

I am going to make a cushion and pillows for the top, so I guess it isn't completely done, but it is full of stuff and serving it's purpose so far! I'm so excited about it!

4 comments:

SarahKL said...

Totally awesome! What a great idea! :)

Rebecca Cash said...

wow I love it! I am impressed!

Ashley and Jeff said...

David is quite the handy-man!

anbourke said...

um...was David reading a book?!....weird. (oh, great idea by the way!! Looks great!)