Thursday, December 17, 2009

12 days of Christmas: 9

9. Reading the Christmas story

Until David and I got married, Ashley, Greg and I always slept in the same room on Christmas Eve so we could wake up together and get the morning started. After we roused the parentals (we usually got started pretty early- even as grown-up kids), we all piled onto my parents' bed to read the story of Jesus' birth from Luke's account. Before one gift was opened, we were focused on the true meaning of this holiday. I am so thankful for parents who were determined to keep us mindful of Jesus over and above stockings and presents.

My favorite Christmas-morning-Scripture-reading memory was from 2004. I had just finished my first semester of Greek, and I has asked for a Greek Lexicon for Christmas (dork, I know). My parents gave it to me early that morning and asked me to read Luke 2... in Greek. It was hillarious. No one (including me) had any idea what I was saying, but we'll never forget it. Now every year someone pipes up with "Hey Emily, why don't you read it in Greek?" as a joke.
ha.ha.

No comments: