Tuesday, November 25, 2008

almost there

Sorry I missed my usual Monday morning blog post! After a great, full weekend I ended up with some sort of bug that sent me home early. Though I spent most of yesterday hovering over the toilet or asleep, today has proven to be a much better day.

Confession: I don't have a single picture from this weekend. I know, I'm such a slacker. But do not fret! There are pictures that serve as proof that we did, in fact, go to the Simpson's lake house for the weekend, but they are on Becca's camera. David and I had a ton of fun picking it up occasionally and playing around with a really fabulous camera all weekend. I've been wanting to get a nice one (a Nikon D200 perhaps) that will last forever, and I think David is warming up to the idea. We'll see.

Anyways- our weekend. It was great. To be honest, my favorite part was the ride up there on Friday evening. We just told stories and laughed a ton the whole way. Kate was perfect, which was awesome too. The house was amazing, and we were (are) so thankful for their hospitality. Saturday was full of sleeping in, taking Christmas card pictures for 4 families (here are two of them), loving on Kate, dinner for 16 and Settlers of Catan (which David and I own but never have anyone to play with- we're pumped about taking it to Ohio this weekend and teaching all of the Geyers!). We were worn slap out by about midnight and it was a great day.

I can't recall the last time I slept in until 10am- prior to Sunday. It was amazing. Though, my temporary crown falling out when I bit into a brownie was not amazing. So we packed and cleaned and cleaned some more and quickly hit the road home to fix my broken mouth. The timing worked out perfectly because a) we were able to meet up with Matt, Arrington and Stevie for lunch in Knoxville (which was complicated for me to do sans important molar) and b) Kevin Bryant happened to be working on moving into his newly remodeled office space just about the time we pulled into town and was graciously willing to glue my tooth back. Gross, I know, but it was killing me. Since we were already together, we obviously ate dinner at Amigos with the Bryants and then headed home to clean and do laundry.

MAN am I ready for tomorrow afternoon to be here! We are going to leave straight from work and head to Oxford for Thanksgiving- which we will celebrate on Friday with the whole Geyer clan. Here are a few things we are excited about over the long weekend:
  • sleeping in
  • riding the four wheeler
  • playing with Brianna
  • our first married Thanksgiving (and our first time to be at David's parents house married)
  • cold enough weather to wear a scarf and gloves
  • Geyer family Christmas gift drawing
  • seeing tons of family
  • helping cook the food Friday morning (I make the spoon bread :))
  • no cell phone service
  • cleaning out David's closet at home (ok, I'm excited about that... he's not so much)
  • teaching everyone to play Catan
  • my 4th Geyer family Thanksgiving

Though I'll miss my family in Columbus, it's been really special to share this holiday with the Geyer side for so many years. I really have a lot to be Thankful for this year (and every year)- and I do not intend to take any of it for granted.

5 comments:

Blair McLeod said...

P.s.
Catan = the bomb. Come to Nashville and let us kick your butt!

Have a great Turkey Day!

Jayme Dale said...

Game looks cool, cannot wait.

Beth said...

What's spoon bread?!?!? Have I been missing out on something?

Anonymous said...

i love catan. it's an amazing game. seriously... the person who invented it is absolutely on my top ten list of most amazing people.

hope you're having a blast in Oxford and that THanksgiving was wonderful. Have a great weekend!

<><

Jamie said...

I played three hours of Catan last night...came so freakin' close to winning but was delusional by the end of it and lost the game due to some overlooked plays. I'm tellin' ya, you need to be either well rested or well caffienated to have a good go at it. Miss you Em! Glad thanksgiving was good!