Monday, January 17, 2011

resolved.

I wrote this post several weeks ago, and have just finished it this weekend. We have had many a discussion about our year and our goals, and this is the result...

Goals have been on my mind ALOT lately.

Our pastor's sermon last week was about the story our lives will tell this year, and I have not stopped thinking about the message. He explained that 80% of everything we do ANYone else could do, 15% of what we do SOMEone else could do, and 5% of what we do ONLY we can do. It's the 5% of our activities that he focused on, and that is where I want to concentrate my efforts this year. Rather than set "goals" to blog more, do fun projects, spend time with special people or xyz, I want my goals to be things that matter. This is how he broke it down, and how our goals are categorized for 2011:
  • Only I can grow SPIRITUALLY:
    • Geyers- either start or join a consistent small group (starting with Deeper in February)
    • Emily- I have committed to reading the entire Bible this year. Because of Pastor Frank's recommendation, I have signed up with a reading plan through youversion.com, and the entire plan is on my blackberry. I'm pumped about this! So far, so good, and I'm loving that I read Scripture instead of check facebook when I have to kill some time.
    • David- Read at least two books that pertain to my spiritual life and read the New Testament. 
  • Only I can change PHYSICALLY:
    • Emily- run a half marathon 
    • David- run a half and full marathon (we're already registered for this!) 
  • Only I can improve MENTAL:
    • David- study, take the exam (January 29) and get real estate license 
    • Emily- read valuable books (starting with this and this and this)
  • Only I am responsible for the inspiration of my SOUL (the condition of our soul is directly connection to the well-being of its components):
    • Compromise with each other more
    • Relax BETTER (play games and do puzzles instead of watching tv)
    • E- anger. enough said.
    • D- listen. Don't react, but be proactive in my thinking and in conversation. 
We sang this song that Sunday, and it has literally been stuck in my head ever since. It is our prayer for the year:



We actually have a long list of tangible goals for this year, but they aren't all blog-friendly. These are our top two that are:
  • Sell our house in Birmingham (any takers?? We will give a finders fee!!)
  • Either sell our current house or make the changes we want to make
I think 2011 is going to be a big year for the Geyers in Chattanooga!

"Dreams have as much influence as actions." - Stephane Mallarme (December 24)

1 comment:

PSIrwin said...

love this post. period.