Thursday, October 29, 2009

book review: Understanding God's Will

You know those books that stick with you long after you read them? I love to read, but have an unfortunate tendency of remembering few details of any book- even a great read. Yet there are a handful of books that stand out in my memory for one reason or another. Understanding God's Will: How to hack the equation without formulas is one such book. I read it at the exact point in my life when it came to life and made sense to me. I need to re-read this book every year. Unfortunately, author Kyle Lake (good friend of David Crowder, Chris and Robby Seay and Brian McLaren) passed away in a tragic accident shortly after he wrote this book.

This one passage from the book really stayed with me. It is actually an exerpt from an article Brian McLaren wrote called "Across the Great Decide" :

I have four kids, including a son in college. He is a good young man. Imagine he calls me on the phone and says, "Dad, what is your will for my major in college?"

I would say, "Son, I have raised you to this point in your life so that you can make that decision."

"Yes, Dad," he replies, "but I want to do your will, not my own will. So, please tell me what major to choose."

"Son," I'll say, "I'd be glad to help you think this through. For example, we can talk about how much you hate history and calculus, and how much you love writing and business. I think I can help you eliminate some options, but I really want you to decide this."

"Dad, don't you love me? What if I make a mistake? I just want to do your will!" he says.

"But, Son," I'll reply, "it is my will for you to make this decision. Again, I'm glad to talk with you and help you think it through. But my will is for you to grow up, be a man, and make a life for yourself by making decisions, hard decisions, like this one. And believe me, whatever happens, whether you major in business or art or physics, whether it goes well or not, I will be with you. You can count on that, no matter what." The point is that he lives with my guidance, but not my domination, because he's my son, not my lawn mower. 

This example has been so encouraging to me at different points in my life when I'm stressing about making the right decision. The concept of "God's will" has perplexed Christians (well, maybe it's just me) for so long. I am encouraged by the thought that God does not desire to dominate me, and He is not out there firing off commands that I need to find and interpret, but that He desires for me to have communion with him so I can make those wise decisions with His guidance. And how cool is it that his desire is for our best- and regardless of the stupid/crazy/wise decisions we make, He will be with us.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Great post!