Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Amen. Amen!

I mentioned in my list of 100 that I said the pledge to the Christian flag and to the Bible every day in school growing up. Since then I've been challenged to recite either of them from memory, and I failed. So, in case you were wondering what those obscure pledges were, I have them here for you...

Christian flag:
I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for whose Kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty to all who believe.

Bible:
(just in case you don't know what a Bible looks like)

I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word, I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and will hide its words in my heart that I might not sin against God.

You know, as an elementary school kid I said these "pledges" out of obligation (and fear of punishment I'm sure). Yet even today if I was in a situation to recite such mantras, I more than likely would do so without much thought as to what I was saying. When I'm in Columbus at Pierce Chapel I say the Apostles Creed (from page 881 in the United Methodist Hymnal), sing the Gloria Patri or show off my memorization of the entire communion service with very little regard for what those words mean. Growing up with such ritual and routine was a blessing because these truths were ingrained in my heart, but unfortunately, because of their frequency in my days and weeks, they quickly lost all meaning. I want that to be different! Now that I am in a church that doesn't include liturgy in the worship service, I think I can appreciate the truth in the aforementioned statements. How true that I should pledge my allegiance daily to my Savior who was crucified, risen, and coming again with life! How true that I should hide God's words in my heart that I might not sin against God! How true that I believe in the Holy Spirit, the universal Church, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. How true that Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost!

Amen. Amen!

1 comment:

Becca Rocha said...

good thoughts...i love the christian flag pledge. it's a good one.