Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lawson's birth story- part one

Thursday morning (september 19) I was talking on the phone to my mom when she noticed I was out of breath. I didn't think much of it because I've been out of breath a lot lately, but she was concerned. I had a doctors appointment (37 weeks) already scheduled for that afternoon so I told her I would mention it to Dr. Brody. A few hours later my sister showed up at my house to take my blood pressure because my mom had sent her :). It was high (148/90 and 138/94). When they checked it at the dr that afternoon it was high again (147/92), and I mentioned that it had been high all day. It was up the previous week too, but nothing to be alarmed by. Dr. B asked if my sister could check it at least once a day and if at any point it was over 140/90 he wanted me to call. He said he would like for Lawson to cook a little while longer, but that it wouldn't take much of a high BP for him to induce me.



Friday morning Camille and I took the kids to the aquarium (enough to make my blood pressure rise even not pregnant), and Ashley came over during lunch to check my BP. She kind of freaked when it was 160/102 and 158/106. I knew how this was going to go. Of course the office was closed for lunch so I had some time to get organized. Fortunately, Jodi was headed over to pick something up. I asked if Crawford could go home with her for nap time so I would be free to go to the office and then probably the hospital, which I was sure would need to happen when I talked to the nurse.

Sure enough, the nurse said Dr. Brody wanted to see me right away. I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and a plate of grapes for lunch in the car, and I grabbed the finishing touches for my hospital bag.

Meanwhile, David was at pin strikes bowling and playing laser tag with his division from Blue Cross. I told him not to come to the doctors office because I suspected how this would end up. 

My BP was 159/95 at the office, and Dr. Brody said "let's have a baby!". I shed a few fearful tears, but he encouraged me that having the baby was the most risk-averse option. So I sat in the car in the parking lot making phone calls and off to the hospital I went! David met me there and we walked in together- our last time as parents of one.


No comments: