Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Opa

My family lost a sweet friend last night.
Lex McClellan went to be with Jesus after a long battle with cancer.
He and LaVerne just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary a few weeks ago.

Growing up without local grandparents, Lex and LaVerne became our surrogates. These two pictures are of us at Grandparents Day (2002 maybe?). They never missed any of our birthdays, and they really are the closest thing to grandparents we experienced on a regular basis.


My mom and dad are especially close to Lex and LaVerne, and through the past few month's of Lex's deterioration they have spent many, many days and hours at his bedside. My dad would spend the night on rotation with the other McClellan kids, and Lex would regularly ask Boo (what he called LaVerne) to call Andy for him.

By Lex's request, my dad is performing his eulogy (because he knows he will make everyone laugh). My dad is the best person ever at bereavement "counseling", and I know he will do such a good job (I can't stop crying when I think about it though).

I am SO thankful for Lex's sweet life, and I am even more thankful that he is in the presence of our Lord right now.

1 comment:

Becky said...

This is very sweet, Emily. Lex was a very sweet man, too! He will be very much missed at Pierce Chapel. Your parents are very special people, as well. I am glad that they have been there for Lex & Laverne through these rough waters. ~ ((HUGS)) to you!