Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thursday & Friday

This summer, instead of taking one major vacation (like our cruise last summer), we decided to break it up into several mini-vacations. Our first one was this weekend at the lake and we just returned from our second long weekend away.

I actually took more than a weekend and began my getaway last Thursday with a trip to Richmond, Virginia to see my dad's side of the family. It was momentous for LOTS of reasons: 1) It was my first time to visit that side of the family by myself. 2) Other than our wedding (which hardly counts), it was the first time I had seen this family in five years. I don't know about you, but I have changed a lot in the last five years! 3) It was the only time I had ever spent one-on-one with any of these family members.

So, I was a bit nervous, to say the least.
What if they don't like me?
What if we don't have anything to talk about?
What if I say stupid things and look like an idiot?
What if,
what if,
what if...

Fortunately, I found that there was nothing to be nervous about! I had a marvelous time visiting with my grandma, Aunt Annie, Uncle Phil, cousin Claire and her adorable baby Cooper! My grandma generously invited me to stay with her and I so enjoyed the quality time we shared.

We visited her adorable new shop and her gorgeous new house (that she is in the process of remodeling and redecorating), played with her precious dog and the most perfect baby boy, sipped our afternoon tea and chatted the day away. I was really sad to leave on Friday evening, but David and I are already planning when we can go back!

cousin Claire and baby Cooper


Gertie

1 comment:

mom said...

I'm glad you had a good time!