Thursday, June 17, 2010

worth every minute

I don't even know where to begin...

Tuesday night I witnessed one of the most amazing experiences of my life! Shelby, Autumn and I ventured to Atlanta to be with the Rowe family when they picked up their brand new (adopted) son, Joshua from South Korea.

Before we got to Calhoun, David checked the flight info and informed us that he was delayed. Instead of getting to Atlanta at 9:45, he was scheduled to get in at 11:03. Then 11:40. Then 12:42. Since we had so much time to kill, we stopped at the Cheesecake Factory for dinner in Atlanta, and then met the Rowes at their hotel. The whole experience was totally surreal, and I cannot even imagine what it was like for them... We made it to the airport, and got settled in by the arrival area. Several of their family members were there too, and we were all just giddy with excitement - and making our best attempt to ward off sleepiness.

Michelle & Scott hoped to get gate passes, so they could meet Joshua immediately, but they didn't know if it would be possible. We prayed that the person who was at the ticket counter would be the one who would have compassion on them, and they came back with 4 passes! It was so awesome that Caleb and Emalee Grace were able to be there too- those kids were SO wired and excited for their new brother!

They left to go to the gate, and we all stood by (well, we were actually sitting at the very front of the arrivals area so we could be as close as possible)- cameras aimed at the top of the escalators. As each group of travelers would come up, we would anxiously scan the crowd just waiting for a glimpse of the Rowes. While we were fixed on this one spot that we expected them to come from, they surprised us by showing up in a different place! They left baggage claim as a family of four and came back as a family of five! You can bet the tears were FLOWING. All of us were just grinning ear to ear with awestruck wonder... oh my goodness... I just get goosebumps thinking about it!





Everyone just loved on Joshua, and he was comfortable immediately! It was the most amazing thing to watch. He was totally at home with Michelle and Scott. He is such a happy baby, and we had fun with him right away! It took an unfortunately long time to catch the shuttle back to the hotel, but everyone was entertained by this sweet baby.

I have to say, Michelle and Scott were the model of grace. Holy.moly. There were so many times throughout the night that I thought "I would be freaking out right about now", and they were cool as cucumbers.

I can.not.wait. to watch this family grow and change as Joshua does the same. There is no doubt that he is as much a part of their family already as either of the other kids

You can read more about how the Lord brought them to this place in their family here.

I cannot help but think about our relationship to the Lord when I reflect on this experience. Scripture tells us over and over again to care for the orphans and the fatherless, but I keep thinking about how we are just the same way. We come into this world so lost until we allow Jesus to enter our hearts and rescue us. Just as Michelle and Scott literally chose Joshua to be a part of their family, we have been chosen by God to be a part of his family! How insane that we (I) do not live a life that reflects our (my) gratitude!

PS- I took pictures on Michelle's camera all night, so I will post them when she puts them on facebook! Shelby took a ton too, and I cannot wait to see every single one!
PPS- We got home at 5:30am. Work at 9 was a little bit difficult :). I did modify my day to include a nap and a short work schedule, and really... it was worth every minute.
PPPS- I had such a fabulous time with Shelby and Autumn! This wasn't your typical girls' night away, but we shared an experience like nothing else! Love those girls!

No comments: