Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Tuesday thoughts

People who haven't seen me since Lawson was born typically ask "How's it going with two?" so I figured I ought to chronicle what life is like these days.

It is good. Really. Mostly.

Lawson is (like Crawford was) a very easy baby. He sleeps 10 hours at night and would nap all day if I would let him I think. He likes to be held and worn, and I love to snuggle him.

Crawford is almost two. The end.

The transition has been as good as it could have been, I think. Crawford loves Lawson and hasn't acted jealous or angry or malicious at all. I'm still learning how to manage my time so I meet everyones needs - which seem to typically arise all at once. Some days I opt to sleep instead of shower, and I wear a hat an awful lot because I don't routinely put on real clothes or fix my hair.

When I used to have trouble falling asleep I would default to think about things I'm looking forward to: a trip/party/visit/holiday/time off/etc. I noticed recently that I don't do that anymore. I still look forward to things in the future, but I am in the middle of my happy place. There are days/hours/weeks that are hard. I had the stomach bug last week, and that was not fun. I felt like I needed a 24 hour break which obviously isn't possible, but we made it through and the kids didn't get it, thank goodness. David comes home for lunch a couple days a week, and it is such a gift. Some days he walks in the door and I hand him the baby and sprint to the shower. Other days both kids are asleep and we have a grilled cheese lunch date.

I spend my days washing applesauce off the walls, doing laundry, making play doh balls and thinking about how I ought to be cleaning, yet I have never been more satisfied (and exhausted) at bedtime.

This is not fun for some people (including me some days), but I don't want to forget this time. I LOVE it. I sometimes think I never want to not have a baby, what with the smells and coos and rolls and snuggles. It [Lawson] is divine.

Don't hear me wrong: life is not easy. But man, is it good.

I've had several conversations with friends lately who have had similar "I'm going crazy over here" days, and a consistent theme has emerged: This parenting thing is not for the weak of heart. But the other theme is: Parenting is intended to edify us and glorify God. It is going to be hard, or it wouldn't be productive.

In summary: We are doing well. God is good. We are so blessed. And whoa, my thoughts are scattered.

No comments: