Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fathers Day

Fathers' Day was a little nutty this year. I really tried to plan ahead and have some thoughtful gifts ready for David, but it largely backfired. The Earleys were planning to come to town on their way home to Indianapolis from Hilton Head, but we thought they were going to be here much later in the day (like, after dinner). Turns out, we (probably I) had a major miscommunication. I had scheduled a tee time for David, Greg, Chase and Eric to play 18 holes of golf at Bear Trace. At 1:30pm. This is a huge gift for David because a) he loves to play golf, but doesn't get to often. b) When he does play, he tries to get the first available tee time and he races through to get home quickly. c) He plays at cheap courses. Oh, and it was a surprise! Until I learned that the Earleys were going to be here at 11am. Womp, womp. It was such a bummer because we really were so excited for the Earleys visit, and I just screwed the golf thing up royally. Eric and Chase ended up playing without Greg and David, and they will have to reschedule sometime. I also bought David two new golf shirts that he said he didn't need so I returned. Nice.

The two redemptive gifts were a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake (perfect for celebrating Matt's birthday Sunday too!) 


and these framed silhouettes of our boys. Obviously we'll have to wait to make Lawson's, but I was pretty pleased with how Crawford's turned out. It was quite a project, but well worth it in the end. And David loved them (it?). I even hung them up!



We had such a fun visit with Matt, Arrington, Stevie (8), Savannah (2.5) and new baby Benson (2 months). The girls have grown so much, and Benson was a dream baby! It was so fun to have a little guy in the house to get us thinking about what it is going to be like when Lawson arrives. 


David and Matt took Stevie with them to watch Chattanooga FC play soccer, and of course Uncle Dave spoiled her with ice cream.

I mean, seriously.



Sunday we played at the park, and these kids worked up some sweaty heads! They all had fun running around together, and it was so sweet to watch them interact. 



Crawford loves big kids, so he was glad to watch/play nearby/laugh at Stevie and Savannah, but he didn't want much to do with Uncle Matt. Though he did like to say "Matt. Matt." over and over again. Even after they left. 


It's so fun to be with the Earleys and to think about how far these two boys have come since their friendship began freshman year of college. Now with (almost) five kids between the two of them, life looks pretty different than it did in the early days. I don't think they would trade any of it to go back!


We didn't talk to my dad on Fathers Day (it was a little nutty around here), but we face timed with them a few days later, and that is always so fun! Crawford LOOOOVES Babu. He seriously gets more excited about seeing him (even in the phone) than any other person he knows. They are coming to visit next weekend and I know Crawford will have a blast. I love seeing my parents as grandparents. They are the best!


I don't want to neglect an opportunity for a sappy reflection of David as a father, so here it is: 

Dave, 
Thank you for telling Crawford you love him about 20x a day. He will never doubt the truth of those words because you live them out non-stop. Thank you for praying for our family faithfully every single night, even when I sometimes fall asleep halfway through. Thank you for cleaning the poopy diapers I can't stomach (which is pretty much all of them) - without complaining. Thank you for being a grilling champ, and for cooking as much as you can fit in. Thank you for being so excited about having boys that you get giddy when you just say "my sons" (I'm sometimes more overwhelmed than excited). Thank you for purposefully working to break negative cycles of past generations. Thank you for being a peacemaker in our families. Heaven knows we need one! Thank you for regularly wearing your shorts twisted, your shirts inside out and the same socks for several days in a row. Seriously, it makes me feel needed :). 

Thanks for loving me and setting such a beautiful example for Crawford, Lawson and anyone else to come of what marriage looks like. I am so blessed to get to stand by you through this crazy journey of life!

I love you! 
Em

No comments: