Friday, October 1, 2010

give the gift of life

My dad has always instilled in us an understanding of the importance of giving.

My dad gives a lot.
Over the years he has built countless Habitat houses and wheelchair ramps, spent countless hours vising with hospice patients, driven thousands of miles transporting little old ladies to their Wednesday luncheons and driving to help with disaster relief efforts with UMCOR. But above all those acts of service, the one thing my dad feels most passionate about is blood donation.

As soon as I turned 18 it was my turn in the chair. Not only does my dad feel strongly about blood donation, but platelet donation is his favorite.

He has given platelets 278 times.

The kicker is that dang advanced prostate cancer. When he was first diagnosed he was banned from giving for 5 years after he was cancer free. Now, the stupid cancer is back and he's unable to do one of his favorite things- give platelets.

So now, because he can't, I give platelets. Not as often as he did and not as often as I should, but when they call- I say yes. It's a laborious process (for me, at least) that takes 2+ hours, but it is well worth it to save lives- and to make my dad proud.


No comments: