Friday, September 4, 2009

I am not a runner.

In December of 2008 I was at my parents' house in Columbus, GA and I decided to become a runner. I figured, lots of people did it, why couldn't I? So, I left the house, geared up with my tennis shoes and iPod and decided to just see how far I could go. I made it .4 mile. Yes, four tenths of a mile. Not even half. After those four tenths, I was literally on my back in the front yard grasping for breath.


It was bad.


SO, I kind of gave up on my goal of becoming a runner. Kind of didn't have a choice. Until I started running with a friend. I'm competitive, so having a buddy to run with gave me motivation to try harder.

So when the opportunity arose to run in the Mercedes Marathon -- on a relay team, granted -- with Samford folks, I signed right up! I was to run a 10K. 6.1 miles. I had never run that much before, but I thought I could do it. Leading up to the race, the most I had ever run at one time was 5 miles. I figured that was close enough.

Race day arrives, I'm pumped and ready to run the first leg of the relay. I ran with my friend Laine and her dad (who were both doing the half marathon) and we started right along.

I was feeling pretty good from the start. So much adrenaline. Nice people handing you water. Strangers cheering you on. Oh, and lots of Birmingham hills. That part wasn't fun. Our strategy was to a) not die and b) walk for one minute at every mile marker. B was my saving grace.

This is becoming a novella, so let me cut to the chase. At the 10K mile marker, I was good to go, so I didn't stop. I passed off my relay chip, but kept running. I ran a half marathon. I went from barely being able to run 5 miles to running 13.1. It will always be one of my favorite life achievements because it was completely unexpected. I'm a planner, folks, but this was a fluke! I called David (who told me after-the-fact that he was a little worried about my finishing the 6 miles) after the race and he freaked. My parents freaked. My sister really freaked. I called my friend Melissa. I told everyone. I'm sure it was my facebook status for a week. I was (and I guess still am) pretty proud.


This is a pretty random topic, no? Well, the other day I was having lunch with my sweet friend Deb, and she told me about her summer internship with Go Magazine in Greenville, SC. They let her write an article for the final summer publication -- about half marathons! Here it is: http://www.gomagsc.com/september-2009-why-half.php. You should read it, she's pretty great.


So, wanna go for a run?

1 comment:

The Rozell Family said...

yeah !!! so proud of you Em!!! I am still running a lot and doin ga lot of races this fall. Clay and I have a half marathon in Dec and we are actually doing our first triathlon Sunday!! I am pumped. Clay is now thinking about training for a half iron man!! we'll see how it goes:)

miss ya'll!!! KEEP RUNNING